Lodi California, in the Early 1900’s

Lodi CA
The Early 1900’s
border
Stacks Image 5227
1900
Lodi is the second largest community in San Joaquin County with a population of 1,500.
Dr. Wilton Mason owns the first automobile.
Stacks Image 5300
1905
Archie Boyd, who worked for Joe Friedberger, delivering grapes to the railroad depot.

Courtesy of Bank of Stockton.
Stacks Image 5254
1900
Baseball game between the Yosemite Club of Stockton and the Woodbridge team.

Courtesy of Bank of Stockton.
1905
The Opera House (now Thornton House Furniture) was built on School Street.
The Lodi Improvement Club (now the Lodi Woman’s Club) was formed.
In August, 1905, the Central California Traction Company began construction of an electric passenger rail line linking Lodi to Stockton and Sacramento.
Stacks Image 5342
1905
Beckman, Welch & Tompson Book Store.

Courtesy of Bank of Stockton.
December 6, 1906
Lodi is officially incorporated as a City.
1906
November 27, residents, by a 2:1 margin, voted for incorporation and elected the following individuals:
F.O. Hale (Trustee)
J.M. Blodgett (Trustee)
G.E. Lawrence (Trustee)
L. Villinger (Trustee)
C.A. Rich (Trustee)
J.M. McMahon (Clerk)
W.H. Lorenz (Trustee)
H.B. Coleman (Marshall)
On December 3, 1906, the San Joaquin County Board of Supervisors ordered, decreed, and declared that Lodi was duly incorporated as a municipal corporation.
On December 6, the County’s order was filed in the California Secretary of State’s Office, which is the official date of Lodi’s incorporation.
On December 7, Lodi’s five-man Board of Trustees meets for the first time; George E. Lawrence becomes Lodi’s first mayor. The first city limits was bordered by Rockford Street, Hutchins Street, Cherokee Lane, and a line 1,600 feet south of Lodi Ave. Lodi population reaches 1,946 people.
Stacks Image 5321
1907
Bertha de Almeda – 1907 Queen Zinfandel.

Courtesy of Bank of Stockton.
Stacks Image 779
1909
Members of the Masonic Lodge officiate laying of the cornerstone for the Carnegie Library on West Pine Street in 1909. The Emerson School, constructed in 1907 and torn down in 1955, can be seen in the background.

Courtesy of Bank of Stockton.
Stacks Image 5405
1910
Frank Beckman in front of Beckman, Welch & Thompson Book & Stationary Store.

Courtesy of Bank of Stockton.
Stacks Image 758
1911
Lodi Outlaws Baseball Team. Top Row (left to right): L. Wilkinson - Captain, Matley - Pitcher, Prentice - Left Field, Corson - Center Field, I. Wilkinson - Right Field, Gerlach - Short Stop, Moore - Third Base. Bottom Row: Graffigna - First Base, Josephus Friedberger - Manager and Posey - Second Base.

Courtesy of Bank of Stockton.
Stacks Image 821
1915
A young boy pulls on the hand crank of a Model T Ford used to shuttle folks from Lodi to Woodbridge via Smith’s Lake (now Lodi Lake). Notice combination ice cream wagon and real estate office operated by Charles Smith (3 room house for $7 per month, utilities included).

Courtesy of Bank of Stockton.
Stacks Image 863
1917
City Transfer Company employee, Frank Irey and a colleague, moving items from a rooming house located above the original Burtons Shoe Store at 17 West Pine Street. The building is now home to California Embroidery Company (2015).

Courtesy of Bank of Stockton.
Stacks Image 16394
1907
By the Spring of 1907, Lodi’s population exceeds 2,000.
At a cost of $500 the mission-style arch is built at Pine and Sacramento Streets; the Tokay Carnival was held on September 19-21 to “advertise to the world the beauty and value of the Tokay grape”.
Central California Traction Company line formally opens. Emerson School opens as part of Salem School District located on Hutchins and Elm Streets (the school was destroyed in 1954 because it was considered unsafe; the City of Lodi purchased the property in July 1955 and later created a park in its place).
Stacks Image 5384
1907
Lodi Tokay Carnival Parade at the corner of Sacramento & Pine Streets.

Courtesy of Bank of Stockton.
Stacks Image 5363
1907
E.G. Williams Packing Shed.

Courtesy of Bank of Stockton.
Stacks Image 737
1910
Lodi Bicycle Shop on Sacramento Street.

Courtesy of Bank of Stockton.
1910
The City of Lodi purchases the Cary Bros. Company - Lodi Water, Gas and Electric for $35,000.
On February 12, the first permanent Lodi Library building on Pine Street is dedicated (now Carnegie Forum and the location of City Council meetings).
The first municipal sewer system is built.
Stacks Image 800
1913
Lodi Telephone Company employees pose on a repair truck in front of the Pac. Tel & Telegraph Office on West Pine Street (November 1913). Foreman Bill Atwater stands near the door of the vehicle, with the chief operator, Hostedder to his left. Bill Bull is leaning against the radiator. Stack of lumber was used to build the Hotel Lodi. Beyond the stack of lumber is the Newfield Building.

Courtesy of Bank of Stockton.
Stacks Image 842
1915
Mason Fruit Company - Founded by Wilton, Herschel & Lewis Mason. The building included an ice cream parlor.

Courtesy of Bank of Stockton.
Stacks Image 581
1918
Royal Tiger brand Tokay grapes label from R.A. Richards Company.

Click here to visit the Hill House Museum
Do you have old photos of Lodi’s history? Scan and send them to eric@redtruck.us or email me and we will provide free photo scanning of your historical photos.